Billy Dee Williams—best known for playing Lando Calrissian in the Star Wars franchise and also the man your grandmas and aunties fawned over back in the 80’s and 90’s—is opening up about his gender identity.
When the interviewer pointed out that Donald Glover, who portrayed Lando in 2018’s Solo: A Star Wars, talked about embracing gender fluidity and sexuality ahead of his own Star Wars franchise debut, the legendary actor lit up.
“Really? That kid is brilliant—just look at those videos,” he said, referring to Glover’s “This Is America” (as Childish Gambino).
Williams also discussed another signature role of his, one he says he’s most proud of—as famed NFL running back Gale Sayers in the 1971 movie Brian’s Song.
The film, which inspired people like The Rock and Jamie Foxx to get into the entertainment biz, is about two football players who were roommates and best friends.
“It was a love story, really,” Williams said of the movie, which went on to win an Emmy. “Between two guys. Without sex. It ended up being a kind of breakthrough in terms of racial division.”
Asked if his upcoming performance in the latest Star Wars movie means the end for his Lando Calrissian character, Williams said with a wink: “It’s a conclusion—certainly it depends on how much money is generated. That’s when they determine where’s the conclusion … The one thing about show business, you can resurrect anything.”
Billy Dee Williams is set to reprise his role as Lando in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, which will be released on December 20th and will feature unused footage of the late Carrie Fisher to help complete the story.
Fisher, who would have played a key role in the film, passed away in 2016, two years before production began.
A Texas high school teacher who was once honored as the “teacher of the year” of an entire school district was arrested for having an improper relationship with a student.
36-year-old Randi Chaverria was a Family and Consumer Science teacher at Round Rock High School.
According to an affidavit obtained by Round Rock’s KVUE News, Chaverria had sexual conduct with a current student several during the 2019 fall semester.
The student reportedly told police Chaverria performed oral sex on him twice in her classroom on or around October 16th.
Officials said they reviewed text messages between the student and Chaverria, and they were consistent with the student’s allegations.
School officials sent an e-mail to parents saying they were first notified that Chaverria had been accused of sexually abusing a student on November 18th, and once they were notified, the teacher “elected to take leave” before the administration received the report.
“Once notified, the teacher, who had elected to take leave before administration received the report, was immediately reported to the District’s Human Resources Department and law enforcement and not permitted to return to campus,” Round Rock High School principal Matt Groff wrote in the e-mail, according to KXAN-TV.
Groff also wrote that the case had been reported to the State Board for Educator Certification.
Groff also said the district plans to cooperate with police in the investigation.
“Safety is the top priority of Round Rock High School and Round Rock ISD. Ensuring a safe and secure learning environment requires partnership between students, parents, campus and district staff, as well as law enforcement,” he wrote.
Prior to the incident, Chaverria was a decorated teacher, having been awarded Secondary Teacher of the Year in May 2019, according to the Round Rock Independent School District website.
According to the news release announcing her award, Chaverria also headed an “Adopt-A-Child” community service project where high school students would adopt elementary school students in need and buy Christmas gifts for them.
Chaverria turned herself in to Williamson County Jail Tuesday morning (Nov. 26) and was released that same day after posting bond.
According to court records, she has yet to enter a plea and hasn’t hired an attorney to speak on her behalf.
A North Carolina woman was murdered at her job by her ex-boyfriend, and her family feels like the police could have done more to protect her.
28-year-old Victoria Amanda St. Hillaire was shot and killed on Monday (Nov. 25) outside of UNC Family Medicine where she worked on Mayfair Street in Durham.
St. Hillaire’s ex-boyfriend, 33-year-old Lequintin Raishawn Ford, has been named as the shooter in the incident. Police revealed that after killing St. Hillaire, Ford turned the gun on himself and took his own life.
Here are some things to know about the murder-suicide:
Police found both bodies in a parking lot outside of UNC Family Medicine.
According to reports, officers were called to the building’s parking lot Monday around 8 a.m. and found a man and woman shot dead.
The two bodies were later identified to be 28-year-old Victoria Amanda St. Hillaire and 33-year-old Lequintin Ford.
Police say that Ford showed up to St. Hillaire’s job and shot and killed her before turning the gun on himself.
Neighbors near the facility described hearing as many as nine gunshots.
UNC Health Care spokesman Phil Bridges said in a statement that St. Hillaire was a certified medical assistant and had been working at the clinic since September.
The clinic focuses on primary care and has roughly 35 employees.
Victoria St. Hillaire had a restraining order against Lequintin Ford and she’s called the police on him 30 times over the past two years.
Victoria St. Hillaire and Lequintin Ford had previously been in a relationship and dated off and on for 6 years.
Their relationship was described as very violent and volatile, with Ford being said to have been the abuser.
Over the past two years, police were dispatched to St. Hillaire’s home 30 times due to incidents involving Ford.
The calls included trespassing, prowler, communicating threats, malicious damaging and disturbance, ABC 11 reported.
In October, St. Hillaire filed a protection order against Ford in which she told authorities Ford was stalking and threatening her.
In the protection order, Hillaire also said that Ford had on one occasion beat her in the leg with a bat and choked her out. On another occasion, he threatened to commit suicide—a form of mental/psychological abuse.
The protection order was approved by the court, however, even with that being in place and Ford having to surrender his guns and wear an ankle monitor, he continued to harass and stalk St. Hillaire.
Court documents and arrest records show Ford continued to harass and stalk St. Hillaire and her family, and on Oct. 19, was accused of stalking them at the family’s home in Burlington.
The arrest warrant said Ford showed up at the home on Oct. 9 and repeatedly banged on the windows. He was charged Oct. 19 with breaking one of those windows and with three misdemeanor violations of the domestic violence protective order and three felony counts of stalking.
On Oct. 21, Ford was charged again with misdemeanor stalking after he followed St. Hillaire, rented a car and drove by her home at odd times of the night, and banged on the home’s windows, a record shows. He fled before police arrived, it said.
More charges were levied against Ford on Oct. 23 after he attempted to talk with St. Hillaire when her car broke down on the side of the road, records show.
The next day, he was charged again, this time with making harassing phone calls after he allegedly called St. Hillaire more than 40 times from a private number.
During a court hearing on October 28th, Ford and St. Hillaire both agreed to continue with the domestic violence protective order restrictions.
Ford was scheduled to have two upcoming hearings on December 11th and January 7th for his charges involving St. Hillaire over the past few months.
The charges included misdemeanor stalking, felony stalking, three counts of misdemeanor violation of a domestic protection order and misdemeanor making a harassing phone call.
St. Hillaire’s family believes police are also responsible for her death.
St. Hillaire’s family called police out for allowing Ford to be out on the streets knowing that he had been stalking/threatening her and had a violent past.
The family says that Ford should have been locked away a long time ago.
St. Hillaire’s sister, Melinda Renfrow, told ABC11: “I feel like he should have been put away a long, long time ago. And I don’t understand and I can’t comprehend or wrap my brain around how someone so mentally unstable with a history was not put away a long time ago.”
Renfrow also called Ford a coward and that she wanted him to suffer for his actions. “I think he’s a coward. I think he deserved to suffer,” she said.
Lequintin Ford has a violent criminal rap sheet.
Lequintin Ford was no stranger to violent charges and had been arrested in the past.
According to reports, he has been convicted of assault on a female and other charges in the past.
St. Hillaire’s family had no clue about Ford’s abusive past and didn’t find out until last year about his abusive ways with St. Hillaire.
Her family is now calling for all domestic violence victims to take a stand and get help before it’s too late.
Her sister Sasha St. Hillaire posted on Facebook:
“So I have not been able to share til now. RIP 11/25/19 My little sister Victoria Amanda St.Hillaire Trinasian Thai I’m so angry this happen to you. I love you. I pray you are in heaven now no more pain suffering.
“To all my friends and family my sister was a victim of domestic abuse. Please get help if you need to before it’s too late. I love you Vicki my baby girl I will always remember you as you were. You are forever with me in my heart.”
Supporters of Lequintin Ford say the media are portraying him in a negative light.
A friend or family member of Lequintin Ford, who goes by Josh Silver, posted on Facebook:
“And Lequintin Ford ain’t who the media trying to portray him as! He took [care] of kids he loved his kids!”
Silver’s post caused a lot of controversy in the comment section of his post from those who found his remarks inappropriate and out of pocket.
One social media user responded: “He killed that girl who cares!!! F**k him.”
Another user also called out those supporting Ford after he took an innocent woman’s life.
“So let me get this straight since this story has aired on tv, all I’ve seen on Fb is RIP to this son of bitch that killed this woman. That’s all I’ve seen when you type this maggot slob ass n***a name in the search engine on Fb.
“I have yet to see any post from friends saying RIP to Victoria all I see is RIP to this piece of sh*t. IDGAF what no one says this bastard is a evil son of a bitch and a real coward a** slob to kill this woman simple because she did want his abusive anymore.
“I hate a pos like this I hope he is in hell burning alive. And all y’all stupid bitches up here saying oh he a good dude, he takes care of his kids, he this he that can go to the same hell he in.
“Y’all mad at the media for what for exposing who he is ?????. He’s nothing but a bitch a** n***a that abused and killed his ex for not wanting him. It’s not about him it’s about this woman he killed.
“If he was my family member I’d be shameful as f**k knowing my kin did something like this. He’s the true definition of a coward he killed a woman and he killed himself because he didn’t wanna face his family or face the victim family for such and atrocious act he committed.
“Victoria Amanda St Hillaire is the only victim in this situation idgaf about that coward side of the family hurting hell his mama should’ve swallowed this motherf**ker only the victim side should be mourning her lost.”
R.I.P. Victoria St. Hillaire … Our prayers go out to her friends and loved ones.
Queen Key had plenty to be thankful this Thanksgiving … so thankful her belly is filled with three mini turkeys.
In a lengthy, heartfelt Instagram post on Thursday (Nov. 28), the Chicago rapper announced to her fans that she is pregnant with triplets!
“I’m having triplets & I’m happy about it,” she wrote.
The post includes a video of Queen getting an ultrasound. The doctor explains that triplets are such a rarity that they only see about one or two cases a year and that IVF or other fertility treatments often account for the multiples.
However, in Queen’s case, her triplets were “spontaneous,” making them even more miraculous.
Queen wrote in part:
“I would’ve never thought me out of all people would be having kids… and triplets at that. God always shows me that I’m so strong, when i made my babies I was being irresponsible…. af, but they’re now my biggest responsibility, I can’t wait to see them, touch them, love them.”
T.I.’s invasive and extreme measures of safeguarding his teenage daughter’s hymen and virginity sparked a national conversation. With the tide mostly against the Atlanta rapper, two lawmakers now want to criminalize “virginity check-ups.”
New York state Sen. Roxanne Persaud and assemblywoman Michaelle Solages have introduced new legislation that would ban doctors from performing virginity examinations.
The bill states:
“These examinations are not only a violation of women’s and girls’ human rights, but in cases of rape, can cause additional pain and mimic the original act of sexual violence, leading to re-experience, re-traumatization and re-victimization.”
Licensed medical professionals performing or supervising the globally denounced practice would face professional misconduct penalties. And if performed in a non-medical setting, said person could be charged with sexual abuse, a class D felony.
“It’s misogynistic, it’s appalling…I was horrified to see this was happening,” Solages told The New York Post referring to T.I.’s comment about having the gynecologist to ensure his daughter’s hymen was intact.
“If a celebrity can impose his power to ensure his 18-year-old daughter gets checked, imagine what can be done in households across New York state?”
Ray was previously on the Buffalo Bills’ practice squad, but was released earlier this month. He also spent a brief time on the Houston Texans practice squad and was released earlier this season.
Back in May, the 6-foot-3, 255-pound footballer was signed as an undrafted free agent to the Cleveland Browns upon graduating Boston College and was among the team’s final cuts during training camp.
With a solid college football career, Ray’s inability to find a steady NFL home has been somewhat unexpected.
“The fact Ray went undrafted is a shock in itself considering he was viewed as a Day 3 talent by most outlets and he had a more than solid career at Boston College,” Josh Keatley of Brownswire wrote at the time of Ray’s Browns signing
“He certainly has enough traits to develop into a quality starter in the NFL,” Keatley added.
A Louisiana father is calling Chuck E. Cheese out and accusing them of racism after an employee in costume as the pizza chain’s iconic character appeared to ignore his 3-year-old daughter while greeting and hugging other children.
Damon Payne says he took his daughter Dynver to a Chuck E. Cheese in Metaire on Monday (Nov. 25) to celebrate her third birthday.
Payne filmed his daughter with her arms stretched out, trying to hug and greet Chuck E. multiple times.
However, the mouse character can be seen turning away several times and hugging other children around him, seemingly ignoring Dynver, who is Black and the only child of color in the clip.
Payne can be heard in the video saying to the character: “You don’t see her? … She’s right here.”
Payne told WDSU News that he brought the incident to the manager’s attention and also showed them the video, but the only thing they offered was 50 free tickets to redeem at the prize counter, which he said was even more insulting.
After his visit, Payne took to social media and posted the video on Facebook along with the caption:
“MY KIDS WILL NEVER STEP FOOT BACK IN Chuck E Cheeses. #whenwillitstop. Please do me a favor share this and tag anybody with power she didn’t deserve that. That’s at the one in Metairie.”
On Tuesday (Nov. 26), Payne said a different manager reached out to him and made him aware of the company’s policy, which is for the character to not initiate contact with children.
“Our cast members are trained not to initiate physical contact with the children—in case they are afraid of Chuck E.,” a company rep said in a statement.
“We want to assure our guests that we take great measures to protect the experience all children and families have in our restaurants.”
I think the lesson learned here is everything isn’t “racism.” And the first manager should have told him the policy from the get-go.
She raps. She sings. She entertains. She real life got it out the mud. But apparently her cooking skills leave much to be desired. Her words, not ours.
In an interview with People magazine, the “Bodak Yellow” rapper revealed that she plans to spend Thanksgiving with Offset’s side of the family, but she doesn’t plan on doing any kind of cooking what-so-ever.
She said she’s got you if you need her to peel some veggies or mash some potatoes though.
“I’m really excited,” the 27-year-old said. “I’m going to Atlanta. I spend it with [my husband] Offset’s family.”
While Bardi is looking forward to spending some quality family time with her in-laws, she revealed that she will not be helping out in the kitchen because she isn’t confident in her cooking skills just yet.
“I could help mash up the potatoes, know what I’m sayin’? Y’all want me to peel some vegetables, I’ll help you with that!” she joked. “I mean if y’all want me to cook a dish, I’ll do it. But I don’t guarantee it.”
Cardi added: “I think I could do a really good mac and cheese. I don’t play with my mac and cheese either, so I feel like if I’m gonna go in and do it, I’m gonna do it good. But I don’t think they’re gonna trust me enough.”
Cardi told the magazine he’s also looking forward to seeing her and Offset’s 16-month-old daughter Kulture Kiari having fun with her siblings and cousins.
“Now that my daughter’s a little bit older she likes to interact with kids,” the proud mom said.
“I’m excited to see her with her siblings [Offset is father to three other children from previous relationships]. It’s gonna be fun. A lot of open space down there in Atlanta so I can’t wait.”